I know it's probably way too early to think about December Daily albums this year but I had a brainstorm the other night and I wanted to get it down in writing before I forgot. To be honest I wasn't sure I was going to make an album this year. The last couple of years I've felt like I was in a bit of a rut putting journaling cards and photos in a page protector, and then repeating 25 times until I was done and could breathe a sigh of relief and move on to the next project. I've also felt a bit of pressure (from within) to come up with a story for every day of the month, or if nothing else making some type of "filler page" about something like my favorite Christmas movies. I love this project but I know I need to change some things up before I burn out. So here I am listing out the things I am going to do the same and how I'm going to change things up this year.
What I'm Keeping
- I'll still be working with a 6x8 album (probably from Ali Edward's). It's the perfect size and I love the "ring binder" style.
- Kits and Supplies - I still love playing with all the new products that come out, but I will probably use a little different formula than: photo + journaling card + page protector = page. I will probably buy one kit for the basics and be on the lookout for some fun new products.
What I'm Changing
- No more numbers. I know this probably sounds strange, but I don't want to be a slave to the numbers any more. I want to document the month of December as a whole and not day by day. If 5 things happen on a Thursday I want to be able to stick them all in my album at one time. At the same time if nothing is happening I don't want to force myself to document it. The other day I got a flyer for the musical "Holiday Inn" and I've already stuck it in my album without having to worry about how to incorporate it with a day of the month. If something important happens on a specific date I will mark the day, but otherwise I'll just add things randomly.
- Less Page Protectors and More Stuff. I won't get rid of page protectors entirely because they do work well to protect photos. But I plan on using a lot more stuff this year... maps, menus, flyers, tickets, notes, etc. I want to be able to put them straight into my binder as they are. Last year I took a picture of an envelope some tickets came in, this year I would put the envelope itself in.
- Make It My Own - I love all of the supplies and kits that come out, but sometimes I wish for something a little more personal. I made a map of my favorite ski area and I hope to make more things like it. I think this will be the biggest change I make this year, making my album more personal and not trying to use things that don't fit my style. I know what style and things I love, so why not make them myself instead of hoping someone else will come up with it.
I'm looking forward to making the whole process simpler and easier. Adding things here and there as they happen and not trying to stick to a fixed schedule or product. I still plan on blogging regularly, maybe even daily, but I like the idea of taking some of the pressure off. I think making a December album will be more fun for me this year, not to mention the month itself will be more relaxed and easy. Is anyone else out there thinking of their December plans this year, or is it just me?